Monday, November 10, 2008

Variations on a theme of Missionary Work


A preview of things to come, (can you find Elder Waldo?) or I uploaded my photos in the wrong order and it takes too much time to start over!


These are the missionaries in our district: Robbins, Perez, Lee, Robbins
Whiting, Rowberry, Chambers and McLaughlin. We just finished our weekly district meeting and we all have our fingers up in support of Elder McLaughlin who practically cut his finger off with his Leatherman. Ouch!!!!! Everyone has such a happy smile because we were eating Halloween candy during district meeting sent to us by Aunt Susie. We all thank you!!
On the tram to our first contact finding activity with the missionaries. They take this sign and set it up in one of the city parks and sing hymns.

(Insert photos of singing missionaries :)


Three or four missionaries contact the people in the park while the others sing. When it was Elder Anderson's turn he turned to me and said, "Let's go." OK says I, I'll give it a try", knowing my Czech is very limited it will be fun to see him in action. He talked to a young man and then two young women who weren't interested and then he saw an older woman sitting on a bench and turned to me. "This one is yours." "But ..." "No buts about it!" I said the only thing I could think of: "We have a message about the Book of Mormon." The woman threw her hands in the air and exclaimed. "No, no I don't want to hear about it!!" Elder Anderson calmed her down and she did wish us good health. I guess I have some work to do on my contacting skills.



Elder Chambers is more successful

When we have some time we have been hopping on a tram and taking it to the end of the line just to see the city. We have found that near the ends of this lines are huge apartment complexes called panaloks. These were built by the communists to alleviate the housing shortage and to build what they thought would be ideal communities. We have been told that they were all grey in color and you can see since theCzechs have taken over they have brightened things up!!







8 comments:

  1. I am proud of you, going up to a woman in the park and talking to her about the gospel in another language, pretty scary huh? You both look very happy and looking like legit "senior couples"! We love you! Finn, Amber, Emma, and Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at you all grown up savin' Prague- speaking in Czech trying to convert people. You're so brave:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay says I! I'll give it a try!
    Where do I sit and how much do I git? What time is lunch and when can I quit?
    Gimme back that wheel says God,
    You're not ready yet.
    I laughed outloud. I love you guys and I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time on your mission. It was so fun to spend a few minutes with you (and use the bathroom!) We loved Prague and enjoyed seeing many of the sites there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry, after 18 mos (and probably 24) they still react the same way. :)

    My best trick at the beginning of my mission was to open my French Book of Mormon until I found a word I didn't understand and ask for help translating it.

    The Howes are proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sis. Robbins- I am so proud of you! I would have been terrified to talk to people in another country & language. You are so great! Keep it up & I'm sure you'll have success. Love your blog! Love you! Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know you are a Robbins if you can begin a quote by Shel Sliverstein in your blog and another Robbins finishes it for you!:) I too am proud of you. That takes a lot of courage. I read a story recently about a woman who was really afraid of an underground cellar that was in her house when she was a child. It was dark and musty and even as an adult she couldn't go in one. One day there was a tornado coming and she had to take her children down there to save them, but she was still really scared. She prayed and expressed her fear about going down there. The impression she got was "Then do it scared." I can imagine there will be many times when you will feel this way on your mission, but I know you can do it. And this concludes this session of the Robbins family devotional.... :) Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What-Aunt Susie sent you a package already...she is so making us look bad. I'm off to create a package for Elder and Sestra Robbins!

    ReplyDelete