Saturday, October 11, 2008

WE MADE IT!!!


We're on our way!!! Czech Republic here we come. We flew to Washington DC and then on to Vienna. I sat next to a very nice woman, Zlata, from Odessa, Ukraine. We had a great conversation about life, family and religion. We had 8 hours next to each other and got well acquainted. I gave here a pass-a-long card with a promise from her that she would call for a Book of Mormon when she returns to the US. She said she was very interested and we exchanged emails. So I will follow up with her in about 3 months when she returns to the US.

We were met by Pres and Sis Slovachek, our mission president and wife. It may sound like they are Czech, but they are from Florida. Pres. Slovachek grandfather was from here. We had lunch with them and the Alsops who work in the office. They have truly become our "New Best Friends in Prague" ( The Alsops have helped us get money, tram passes, telephone, dinner, apartment hunting and personal tour guides.)They took us on a tram ride to see some of the Prague sights. We went to "Old Town" built in 900 AD and "New Town" 1400 BC. The reports are true this is truly a beautiful city. The Vtlava River winds through the city, with castles and cathedrals everywhere. Any fairy tale you can think of could be filmed here! We were up for 36 hours. They say it helps the jet lag. I should say so you don't care what time it is. Next day we attended our District Meeting with 6 Elders and 4 Sisters. We have amazing missionaries in this mission. We all practiced our finding investigator skills. We spent the rest of the day getting our phone and instructions, fixing our email and looking for an apartment. Ed Barner an american member here has offered us his home while he is away, until April. Only problem is it won't be available until Dec. 1st. We are l0oking for a temp. rental. (Everyone says his apartment is big, so visitors would have a great place to stay!) We attended the institute class and although we understood little (and I emphasize little) the spirit was strong. The teacher is a returned missionary having served at Temple Square and there were 12 young adults in the class. Most of them speak some English and they were very encouraging of our Czech. (Unfortunately I didn't have my camera for the first days, so no pictures, but I will get some next week of missionaries, institute and Mission Pres.)

At Wenceslas Square, yes this is the famed "Good King Wenceslas" from the Christmas Carol, he is the patron saint of the Czech Republic,
Looking towards St. Charles Bridge sort of a foggy day, but this spot is only a 10 minute walk from the church so we can return often and on a sunny day.



Autumn walk to the famous Prague Castle. A half hour walk from the church

St. Vitus Cathedral - There was a long line at least 6 across winding around the cathedral, probably an hour wait. My favorite quote of the day from Elder Alsop. "We don't have to wait, we live here!!" Can you believe it? (Where's Waldo?)

At Hradcany, Prague Castle (Hey, I found Waldo!!!)

15 comments:

  1. I seriously can't believe you are actually there. I was so sad yesterday, I was trying to get a hold of Nanny and called your house and the phone is disconnected- what?! Again, very proud of you and love, love, love all the pictures!! You can pretend you're the princess in front of all those castles- oh yeah- and dad you can be the prince:) We don't want to leave you out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you with all your new BFFs-the Hughes, the Alsops... I can't believe it either that you are actually there. I was a little taken back when I saw that first picture of you two in a place that isn't familiar at all! I thought parents existed for the sole purpose of their children!:) I went over to your house to "borrow" your waffle iron for oh say about 18 months and I couldn't find it. Then I got sad because I couldn't call you and ask you where it is. Boo! Anyway-we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found Elder Waldo, can't wait to see the two of you all gussied up in your where's Waldo outfit's Prague-style. I bet money that you started singing Good King Wenselas at the castle. I know I sang it when I read the caption. I love you two! The house is so big and spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you are well and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you don't mind me checking in on your adventures, I would sure love to stay updated. You look like naturals in Prague. Congratulations on making it there. The missionaries are going to LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you made it safe and sound. It really is beautiful there. what a great adventure you are starting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy smokes! I can't believe that you guys are gone! I'm so jealous that you guys are missionaries in Europe together right now! You guys are going to be fantastic! The house sure is spooky all alone! I miss you guys! It's especially sad that I don't have anyone to compete with for messiest hair days anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty eventful first week! What a beautiful place to be for the next less than year and a half. We are so proud of you guys. Keep the updates coming. We look forward to webcaming again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous adventure you are having! I'm sad I didn't get to see you before you left! The pictures are great! Please know you are in my thoughts & prayers & your names will be on the JR Temple prayer roll every Tues.! I love you & thank you for the wonderful example you are for all of us! Love, Vicki Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel your worthiness and courage!
    What an adventure and blessing...for you and everyone you meet! Thank you for sharing. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love seeing your pictures and feeling the spirit of the mission. However, right now it seems a bit like vacation. I'm sure that changes quickly. Thanks for letting us share this experience with you! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So great to see you both....alive and smiling. What a great adventure. You're in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Mom! It took you leaving the country to get 13 comments on your blog. I bet Michelle is jealous. We are proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. finn, if you check my blog i get 13 or more comments all the time:) thank you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful sight! You really are missionaries. I don't think Photoshop could make the pictures look so real! Isn't this work, and the missionaries the greatest? What a beautiful country. Are prayers are with you as you serve the Lord and the wonderful people in your mission. Great job on the pictures. Wheaties would be nice over here, too! We love you both, Craig and Linda

    ReplyDelete