Sunday, October 19, 2008

We are REAL Missionaries


With President and Sister Slovachek

(For all of you who have thought we are just tourists in Prague these pictures are to reassure you that we really are on a mission. )
We attended our first zone conference this week and we know why the Slovacheks are here. They are very strong leaders and teachers and the missionaries love them. The theme for the conference was: "Is anything too hard for the Lord?" This mission had a total of 29 baptisms last year and so far this year they have had 42. The missionaries received training on finding contacts wherever they are: tram, metros, buses etc. As soon as we go off daylight savings it will begin to get dark around 4ish so it's harder to find the people in the squares and parks! Many of the apartment buildings are locked and it is very difficult to tract them. I am so impressed with these missionaries and I sat there with tears running down my cheeks thinking about their mothers and how proud they would be to see them with such courage and strength as they overcome their own fears to share the gospel. Two missionaries who are leaving this month bore their testimonies and I loved what the sister said. "This has been the most amazing game of hide and seek." These missionaries are doing every thing they can to find the Lord's elect in the Czech Republic.

With our Zone Leaders: "The A Team" Elders Anderson and Auger

After institute class having goodies. We are going to Vienna this week for some training to learn how to set up the Outreach Program. As we understand it now it's to provide a wholesome place and activities where young adult can come and be with others and a place for the missionaries to bring investigators to fell the spirit and friendship.


Missionaries do have Pday. We took a few hours and visited Vsyehrad, a rock fortress along the Vltava River. This is where according to legend "the rule of the wise woman skilled in magic ways was replaced by the rule of men." (Was this a good idea?) Anyway it is a huge fortress and inside it is the St Peter - St. Paul Cathedral. Unfortunately we arrived 10 minutes too late for the last tour of the day but, "we live here so we can come back another day." Next to the cathedral is a cemetery where many revered Czech musicians, writers and artists are buried. One of the most famous.........

Antoine Dvorak

We moved in to an apartment that we will be in for 6 weeks but I couldn't end this post without telling about our Bohemian Penzion that we lived in for 9 days. A slightly musty, coffee smell greets you are you enter, along with the soulful sound of french or american jazz. The small and I empasize small room had two beds with slats and a 3 inch mattress and I thought, "Oh no, girls camp!" But they were surprisingly comfortable. Master of the house, Alexander was most welcoming and very apologetic of the flooded bathroom and broken water heater. Only one day without hot water


Every morning we had this spread: yogurt, boiled eggs, ham & cheese and all these delicious breads and pasteries. I loved it but I know somebody who doesn't want a boiled egg for a longggg time and has his mouth all set for a bowl of Wheaties!!


I know, I know, I don't usually leave the bed unmade, but I wanted to remember that the mattress truly was only 3 inches thick! Dobre Noc!







7 comments:

  1. yea!! another post:) I love all the details and info you gave us...keep it coming. And, Dad, I'll have a great big bowl of wheaties, with a banana on top and a glass of cranberry juice to wash it down with just FOR YOU:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and Dad have you found a place to walk in the morning and do you have to take your companion with you. And, to companion, is walking still not social hour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here spying on you again. Loved your post. And although those beds had crummy mattresses, ther bds themsleves are kind of cute! They have a neat style!

    Glad you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I can't believe you are really there. Thanks for your example. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all have to make sacrifices, I guess for Dad, it's his bowl of Wheaties. Yay for the post. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi shauna!

    I could hardly wait to see your blog and was not disappointed. How fun it was to see the sights - Prague is beautiful - even more so with you living there. . .but when I scrolled down and saw the picture with the grandkids and the scripture, I got all choked up and am still weeping! Lucky grandkids! Ryan absolutely LOVES the couples serving with him in Mongolia; one of which is Sister Sodorborg (or "Mrs." Sodorborg from McMillan) and her husband. And moms like me are so grateful for couples like you who look after our babies. . .we love you and look forward to reading more. xoxo, wendy

    now let's see if I can post this comment. I've tried before and was not successful

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you are sleeping on separate beds that you had to push together. It reminds me of the story from Natalie and JJ's honeymoon :)

    ReplyDelete