Sunday, March 22, 2009

Side Stories

Today we have been missionaries for six months! Sunday to Sunday flies by but it seems we haven't seen family and friends FOREVER! We feel quite comfortable as Praguers now and have just some random thoughts to share......
This is one of our regular means of transport and we can't count the number of times we've had to break out in a dead run to catch our limo. I always hope someone will cheer as we breathlessly sprint up the steps before the door closes or at least say, "Good for you, you made it!" I think I'll be waiting a long time for that.
I have learned that "gas permable" contact lens are not common in the Czech Republic. My supply of contact solution is getting low so this week I went looking for some. Oh they have many optical shops here, in fact there our three just around the corner from us and two more about a 10 minute walk, but no solution. It took a map, a 15 minute tram ride, a walk down a winding street.......
through this walkway, which is under contruction, across a boarded sidewalk........

into this torn-up court yard and up the winding staircase........ sure enough Beno Blachut had the solution. I just don't know how he stays in business!
Everything we do seems to take longer. Sister Slovacek asked me to help with Auxillary Training next week. First everything has to be translated and then when I try to make some handouts that require fonts, formatting and clip art it I need an Elder's help. All the computers are in Czech!!! Thank goodness for
Elder Crane's expertise and patience with me.
I was starting to feel confident about my ability to recognize Czech products and then I realized this week I have been washing our clothes in fabric softener for the last month!?! Yes, the clothes do smell good but now I know why the collars and cuffs weren't coming out clean. Oh me!!!!

This is Elisabeth one of our beautiful French young adults. She made us wonderful french crepes for Family Home Evening. We celebrated her birthday with cake and singing this month. We told her in our family we not only sing "Happy Birthday" in English, but Portuguese: which we did. Then it was sung to her in Czech, Slovak, Russian, Mongolian, Spanish, German and French! Are we an international family or what!?!

5 comments:

  1. he,he,he,he,! Laundry? When did you learn how to do laundry? (I'm referring to the chix comment with Jeffy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is so funny. I can just hear you. "Argg! Mike! Why isn't this getting clean?" :)
    At least you weren't like the sister missionaries who thought they were eating cereal and after gaining 20 pounds in a month found out they were eating horse feed. Sucks be to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss Happy Birthday's in Portugese. I guess I'll have to call Marg. Lokks like you are having a great time. And the laundry--well, keep up the good work. At least you didn't stink!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I recall, you make a pretty mean crepe yourself.
    Looks like your family survived the 1/2 marathon.
    I am so impressed!
    Thanks for the update!
    Love,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your fun blog from Michelle's and I'm SO GLAD I did! It looks like you are doing very well! I love seeing you both in your name tags. Isn't it amazing? Reading your experiences and seeing your pictures makes me miss my parents being on their mission. Isn't that strange? They've been home since July and are still trying to remember who Bob and Kathy are without their missionaries! :D
    I hope you don't mind if I peek in and experience a little of your mission with you- you'll be in our prayers! Love and {{Hugs}} ~Emily

    ReplyDelete