Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Surprise" Sunday

Perhaps you have heard of "Fast Sunday" and here in Prague they have "Fat Sunday". It's the week before Fast Sunday when all the members bring a dish or goodies to share and they eat together after the Sunday meetings. But have you ever heard of "Surprise Sunday"? Well it all started last Christmas; the sisters in the Prague branch made or donated gifts to give to all the missionaries. Two of the sister missionaries received the cutest handmade dolls in authentic Czech costumes. I immediately asked the Relief Society President if I could pay the sister to make some for me to take home to my grand daughters. She responded by telling me she didn't think the sister who made them would make them for money and she wouldn't tell which sister made them. Oh well, I tried! Then two weeks ago she told me she had a "surprise" for me......

Isn't she adorable!?! Her skirt, blouse,vest, petticoat and boots are all beautifully hand knit. It was reinforced to me that she is made with love and not money and I do LOVE her, just wish I knew where to find five more. (She is sitting in front of my Christmas poinsettia and Grandma Carol would be so proud of me keeping it alive until Valentines, she always did!) Speaking of Valentines..... here"s mine......


He looks soooo happy because he just received a box of Wheat Chex from Allison and Matt.



Looks like a full bowl of Chex, but there are layered desserts and layered casseroles and now layered cereal 1st layer: cornflakes 2nd layer: musli 3rd layer: chex topped with a banana! We're trying to make them last as long as possible. As I always say, "A man of few needs and even fewer wants."
Wow is he ever enjoying his Chex!!!



3 comments:

  1. I can just hear you oohhing and aahhing over your new little friend. What a fun surprise. Could we have some surprise Sunday? :)
    And good old Reliable with his bowl of Chex. Its true, Dad is a simple with little wants. Cute little thang.
    Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have your chex and cell phone- How hard can your mission really be?! (really just kidding:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say that a key ingredient for a "Surprise Sunday" would have to be a white envelope! That doll is very cute and looks just like something you would like. And if you do manage to get 5 more for your grand-daughters- I would suggest storing them at your house until they are at least 16. I can't speak for all your grand-daughters- but the 3 I am well acquainted with have very little "pride in ownership" right now.
    And "somebody's" birthday is coming up so "somebody" might be getting more Chex!

    ReplyDelete